Tuesday, January 26, 2010

White Mt. Chase - 30km


CSU Master's Team Members Claiming Both Men's and Women's Team
Championship Trophies

On Saturday a strong contingent of CSU Masters headed to Jackson for the White Mt. Chase, a 30km classic race.  The day dawned clear and calm and down at the touring center it was about 7F but was going to warm up quickly into the teens.  We wanted to once again claim bragging rights for the club championship. We had won the men's trophy the last 2 years (I think), but not the women's top spot.  However, we had a couple aces up our sleeve and it was now time to lay them on the table!

After trying a klister combination on my skis and a hard wax combo I decided to go with the hard wax combo that Rob recommended, a couple layers of Toko base green stick covered with Toko blue.  My skis were set, they climbed well on Yodel and it was time to line up.  One great thing about this race is that it draws the best masters skiers in New England.  There were a sprinkling of younger Dartmouth skiers and high school skiers, but really this race is all about us old farts.  However, it was nice to also see former CSU Juniors Matt Truehart and Luke Siebert at the line.

At the gun we were off on one circuit of the fields and then across the road and up Yodel to the upper fields at Eagle Mt. House and the wave.  It was a bit of a thrashfest on Yodel as people hopped out of the tracks to herringbone and I got a bit tangled up with Chris Osgood as I tried to stay in the tracks.  However, we sorted that out quickly and got back to the climbing in earnest.  Going around the fields at Eagle Mt I realize my skis were a bit draggy and I was losing time to Ron Newbury and Peter Harris, among others.  Time to get to work!  I tried clawing back distance up the short steep hills on the Wave but didn't seem to be making much progress until Robyn, the eventual 3rd place woman passed me.  She scampered up the hills much better than I did and then on the downhills showed me how to ski until we got back down on the fields where my forte of double poling and kick-double poling came to play and I lost her.  As we dropped back down to the ski center and headed out on Ellis River 3 guys appeared for me to chase and chase I did.   But, they never seemed to get closer....uggggg, this was turning into real work!  I finally caught one at the water stop on Ellis River and narrowed my focus to the next two.  But, I had to back off a notch or I'd burn my arms out too soon....and so I settled in to the rythm of Ellis River....lots of DP and kick DP followed by short bouts of running up a short hill.  No progress....those two guys were like a mirage.  I switched to the left track and it felt a bit faster and I kept double poling, passing tourers, switching tracks....but no closer.

As we neared the turn-around point there is a long flat straight section and as I came around the corner onto it I looked up to see 6 guys ahead of me.  That really lit a fire under my sagging butt!  Time to hammer and DP is one of my strengths.  At the last real climb I finally caught the back of the coalescing pack in the form of Doug Armstrong.  I happily got close enough for a draft but quickly realized that Doug was dragging.  I was fired up now, so I passed and worked my way to the front of the group.  Doug, being a wily veteran, hopped on the tails of my skis, yelling he had the engine.  Fine, I'm driving this train I thought, and if I do so hard enough these guys will fall off the pace.  The Chase was on!  On I drove, pulling a bunch of guys who were smart enough to sit back and ride the draft.  One younger guy pulled a couple of times for a short stretch, but I always felt like it was too slow a pace and resumed my duties at the front.  We swept up one lone racer like the peleton at the Tour de France.  As we neared the road crossing I tried to think of how I would break away - control the corners, just like at Weston!  Out into the fields, through the tunnel and over the bridge and still I felt the presence of Doug - was anyone else there too?  Down the long back straight and still no one made a move....around the last corner to the starting area....no move as a crossed several tracks to get to the inside.....up the last bump to the finish straight and BAM, Doug comes out from hiding and throws down the gauntlet.  I tried to respond, but too little, too late with weary arms and Doug got me at the line.  The others in the group, including Ron Newbury and Bob Treadwell came in right after. 

That was a fun race on a perfect winter's day.  CSU won both men's and women's trophies as Ali Crocker took 2nd overall and in the Senior class while Sara Mae Berman took first in the M9 category.  In between there were lots of good showings by CSU, including Frank 7th overall and Andy 9th, Rob 16th, Ellen Chandler 2nd in M4 and Ann Burnham 4th in the M5 group.  A good lunch, some ugly trophies, a gorgeous day with fabulous grooming and easy wax selection made for a perfect day!

No comments: