Monday, January 21, 2008

The Geschmossel - Bretton Woods


Rob swung by to pick Evan and I up before it was even bright this morning to head up to the Geschmossel 15km classic race at Bretton Woods. We watched the temperature drop slowly and then after Concord, precipitously, down to about -5F at one point. As we pulled into Bretton Woods, though, the sun and Mt. Washington were shining, which helped us think warm thoughts. It was about 5F and windy. Evan and I went out for a warmup and to test various waxes and it really wasn't too cold. The view of the mountain was awesome, the snow was plentiful and the tracks were hard and reasonably fast in the woods. It was going to be a good day!

After gearing up in warm race clothes, including balaclava for me, we decided Toko Mint had plenty of kick and wasn't at all draggy. Then we headed for the start area with Rob and Joe Bouscaren, hoping they would get things going right away before we got cold. But no, we were held up at the line for about 7 min. until their laptop got fired up and we got cold. However, once the race was underway all was fine. We rocketed out across the golf course at a rather frenzied pace, me chasing Rob and Joe and Evan following close behind. This was the old guys race, Evan was the only J1, but of course was filled with some of the cream of the masters crop, including Doug Armstrong, Charlie Gunn, Ron Newbury, Raul Siren, Bob Gray, Perry Bland and many others. The race was on! Lots of hammer double-pole and kick-DP until finally we reached the nice kick and glide climb up Sebosis. My wax was perfect and I closed in on Joe, who had to hop out of the track a couple times because he wasn't getting enough kick. Should have gone with Toko Joe! I chased Rob, but he slowly dropped me and although I'd passed Doug Armstrong, thinking I'd left him arrears, he re-passed me at the junction with Clinton. I lost focus in there somewhere and ended up in no-man's land, chasing phantom skiers in front and knowing that Joe and Evan were not far behind. We came bombing down Clinton and then I was surprised by a series of short, steep climbs we had to do. The work was not over yet.... I chased and chased to no avail all the way up and back down Clinton and through the biathlon area, closing in on the guy in front of me, but alas I came up short, finishing strong but gaining no more places.

After putting on our warmups Joe, Rob, Evan and I headed out for a mellow cooldown ski to enjoy the fabulous conditions and find out that, yes, we had skied hard and our arms were shot, then in for a hot shower and awards. A great day of skiing was had by all, even if it was a bit cool out there. (Photo from the Bretton Woods website)

Partial Results
MEN
1. Andrew Hunter 40:31
2. Phil Lawson 41:00
3. Charlie Gunn 42:00
4. Rob Bradlee 42:11
5. David Herr 42:18
6. Doug Armstrong 43:50.4
7. Steve Piotrow 43:50.9
8. Mike Innes 43:52
9. Larry Martell 44:19
10. Jamie Doucett 44:22
11. Steve Wright 44:59
12. Joe Bouscaren 45:16
13. Evan Doucett 45:41
14. Gordon Scannell 45:47
15. Ron Newbury 46:31
16. Dave Roberts 46:40
18. Perry Bland 47:58
20. Raul Siren 48:07
23. Bill Holland 49:54

WOMEN
1. Jenna Maddock 49:41
2. Kelsey Allan 50:24
3. Laura Gardner 51:21
4. Amy P. Gunn 52:35
8. Ellen Chandler 59:35

No comments: